The Francis Small Heritage Trust is a private, not-for-profit conservation land trust that was founded in 1990. We obtain land and easements for public access and traditional uses such as hiking, hunting, fishing, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiles on existing trails. The Trust owns 1472 acres and holds easements on an additional 308 acres. The trust holds land in northern York County, southern Oxford County and western Cumberland County in Maine. You can learn more about our properties here.
“The Francis Small Heritage Trust works to conserve wildlife habitat, forests, and farms and to protect watersheds in northern York and far southern Oxford counties, for the purposes of environmental education, passive public recreation, and conservation. “
…and how we carry it out:
- By accepting donations of land and conservation easements
- By presenting educational programs to help foster an appreciation of land and nature
- By acquiring land through purchase
- By providing information and support to towns and landowners
- By protecting the present character of the land centered around the towns of Limerick, Cornish, Limington, Newfield, Parsonsfield, Hiram, Porter & Baldwin by ensuring the continuation of natural areas while supporting compatible uses, such as agriculture and forestry.
The Trust also sponsors educational programs where school groups can explore beaver dams, old foundations, natural areas, and hiking trails.
There are no program fees to use Trust lands.